---Reptiles & Amphibians
Darwin, Charles. Voyage of the Beagle.
- The Voyage of the Beagle: Charles Darwin's Journal of Researches
- Darwin, Charles Robert
- Sullivan, Walter
- Meridian, New York
- 1996 (original 1836)
- 0452011639 (Paperback)
- Martens, Conrad (color painting and black & white drawings)
- Table of Contents
- Beagle expedition, world history, science, nature, natural history, South America, travel
- English (en)
- From the Book Cover
- "After having been twice driven back by heavy south-western gales, Her Majesty's ship Beagle, a ten-gun brig, under the command of Captain Fitz Roy, R.N., sailed from Devonport on the 27th of December, 1831...."
So begins one of the greatest travel adventure tales ever writtenone of the great classics of natural history and a key work in the evolution of modern thought.
When the Beagle set sail for Tierra del Fuego on a nearly five-year-long voyage, aboard was a remarkable young man hired as the ship's naturalistCharles Darwin.
His observations during this historic journey would become the foundation of his revolutionary theory of natural selection, and his writing would bring vividly to life an exotic world of natural wonders.
Caught in an earthquake in Chile, witness to savage warfare in Argentina, spying a frozen horse perched in bizarre fashion atop an icy pinnacle in the high Andes, and absolutely puzzled and mesmerized by the unique creatures of the Galapagos Islands, Charles Darwin captured the magnificence and mystery of the Beagle's voyage.
This is a work that former New York Times science editor, Walter Sullivan, describes as "rich in high adventure, in passages of great beauty, and ever the open-eyed wonder of a young man discovering a world that is no more."
- See and/or order this title at Amazon.com:
- Paperback, Great Minds Series, 547 pages, Prometheus Books, 1999
- Paperback, NTC Publishing Group, 1998
- Paperback, Complete & Unabridged, New American Library Trade, 1996
- Paperback, Complete & Unabridged, 432 pages, Penguin USA, 1989
- Hardcover, AMS Press, 1972
- Out of Print
- Out of Print
- CD-ROM, 849 pages, Quiet Vision, 1999
- See and/or order this title at Amazon.co.uk:
- See and/or order this title at Amazon.de:
- Other works by same author