---Reptiles & Amphibians
Belanger, Jerome D. The Homesteader's Handbook to Raising Small Livestock
- The Homesteader's Handbook to Raising Small Livestock
- Belanger, Jerome D.
- Rodale Press, Emmaus, Pa.
- 0-87857-122-1 (paperback)
- photos, line drawings and diagrams
- For Further Reading
- Nature, Domestic Animals, Livestock
- The rewards of raising your own animals are many: the satisfaction of being closer to self-sufficiency, of controlling the quality of much of your own food at a lower cost than today's supermarket prices, and the sheer joy and relaxation that come from having animals to care for.
If you want to be a real raiser of animals, not just a keeper, open up this book and read about their place on the homestead.
Here you'll find:
The Homesteader's Handbook to Raising Small Livestock gives you the basics to get started, offers you guidance along the way, and is a good book to refer to when things don't go the way they should.
- How much room and care they will need, and how much of a return you will realize for the time, money, and work you put into their raising.
- The different breeds of animals available, their housing requirements, and the wquipment you can buy or build yourself.
- How to manage and build your stock, control disease through preventive measures, and mix your own feed rations that are free from medications and growth stimulants.
- How to make the best use of manure, how to "companion plant" in the barnyard, and how to butcher and use your animals' by-products.
- See and/or order this title at Amazon.com:
Hardcover, Rodale Press, out of print